Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I have a medical condition AND it is called being STUPID!

Hi there.....so tonight I ran hills. And many of them. I wasn't have a great training week to this point and so I had a mental mind set that I was going to run with the level 2's.....level 1= beginners to slightly intermediate runners, level 2= intermediate runners and level 3= advanced runners (AKA....people that are NUTS!). I was perfectly happy to run with the level 2's....that is until Kael, my running partner said, "Oh we can totally run with the 3's. We can do this. We have been training so hard. It will be a good workout." Even though I was slightly apprehensive, I agreed to run with the 3's.
The course was to run up a HUGE hill that seriously felt like it NEVER would end....then just when you thought you were going to pass out you started to run down this trail towards a set of steep stairs to take you back down to the bottom. That was known as the BIG HILL. Then we had the small hill to climb....which was most of the big hill and then we would cut into the woodsy area to cut out part of the big hill and it would get us to the stairs and then we would head down them to the bottom. The Level 3's were to run the following: 1 Big Hill, 1 small hill = that equaled one set......we had to do that 3 times....and for all those folks out there that aren't following me....that means I had to run those hills 6 flipping times! Yes you read that right.....6 times!
There were times that I went silent and poor Kael would continue talking to get my mind off the mental edge that I had put myself on....and then there were times that curse words would come out of my mouth like I had tourettes. On the 5th loop I told Kael, "I don't think that I have one more loop in me....seriously." And his response...."Yes you do Elliott....you can do this. We can take it slow and you can do this." So instead of looking like a complete baby, I said okay and up we started to run again. Halfway up I once again yelled out a few choice words and stopped running. Kael asked if I was okay and the determined person in my said, "I am going to make it up this freaking hill if it kills me....just give me a second to regroup." After a few seconds we started running again...and by golly we ran up the rest of the hill and the back to the car (with 1 other stop involved).
At the end of the practice we had run over 5 miles and the majority of that was hill work. I am definitely getting stronger, but I have our Saturday run looming over me and it is starting to stress me out. As we start to increase in numbers I start to freak out internally. I was never a runner before this and in all honesty I truly don't like running. And so many people have asked me and will continue to ask me, "Why then am I training to run a 1/2 marathon?" And the answer is that I am STUPID! Just kidding! Though a part of me does believe that.....I am training b/c if there was ever any year that I could physically do it, it would be this year.....and I am raising money and awareness for a disease that is continuing to attack people and take their lives.
I do this for Brenda, my honorees (both from run and ski team), my cousin, and for everyone that either has a blood cancer or who will be diagnosed with one. And so I continue on with my training, even though I don't like to run....and in all honesty there is a part of me that is so excited at the idea of crossing the finish line and never having to run again if I don't want too! I have my good run days and my bad...and in all honesty my good do out way the bad....but dang is running hard!

No comments: